Friday, August 29, 2008

Alternative Worship

Charles Wesley wrote church music by rewriting beer drinking songs with Christian lyrics. I wonder why we don't do the same thing nowadays, take popular songs and re-write the lyrics with Christian themes. I have an example. Let's take Bonnie Tyle's "I Need a Hero" and Christianize it:

I need Saviour
I'm holding out for a Savior till the end of the age
He's gotta be God and he's gotta be man
And he's gotta save me from my sins
Oh, I need a Saviour.

I could be up for a Dove music award hey!

6 comments:

David Roquemore said...

Others have done a lot of this. Check out http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_Christian/Parodeities/1Parodeities.html

Jonathan Jong said...

Because then we'd have to pay for copyright and stuff? :)

geoffhudson.blogspot.com said...

There's nothing new under the sun.

http://www1.salvationarmy.org/heritage.nsf/0/42d53ced9ec1583080256954004bff3e?Opendocument

John said...

Rollin' up the aisle, smellin' insense, snacking on bread and juice

worshipin'

with my mind on my savior and my savior on my mind

David McKay said...

Hi Michael.
Could you please give us an example of a beer drinking song which Wesley wrote Christian lyrics for?

People say this, over and over, about Wesley and Luther.

I know it is not true of Luther, and suspect it is also something we all know is true of Wesley, but have never checked out to see if it is really the case.

Happy to be corrected, but looking for documented evidence, please.

Living the Biblios said...

I thought it was that great German Martin Luther who reworked beer songs