Wednesday, April 05, 2006

John Armstrong on Denominations and Polemics

The maverick Reformed Baptist John Armstrong makes offers up a prayer for unity in the PCA That It Will Thrive in the Next Generation.

I know that within the reformed fold John is not everyone's cup of tea, so I don't believe everyone will concur with his remarks. Although I have many fine friends in the PCA, I'm not in the denomination and I make no pretense as to being able to evaluate the validity of his remarks. All the same, I think what he says could be applied to alot of denominations, especially the Baptist one's that I'm involved with. I have met people who honestly believe that revival will only happen when everybody to the left of them is run out of the denomination.

I have learnt that it is important to stand for the truth, for the gospel; but it is equally important to "speak the truth in love" (Eph 4.15), and to "make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification" (Rom 14:19).

I'd rather be a peace-maker than a heresy-hunter; I'd rather build the kingdom than erect a doctrinal fortress.

1 comment:

Chris Tilling said...

I'd rather be a peace-maker than a heresy-hunter; I'd rather build the kingdom than erect a doctrinal fortress.

Well a big monster sized "Amen" with bells on.