Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Caneday on Biblical Theology

Over at Biblia Theologica Ardel Caneday has a good post on Biblical and Systematic Theology. I have my own thoughts on the subject and I stand by my early theory that the discipline of biblical theology was created by OT scholars who wanted an excuse to write about the NT.

I'm thinking about writing a follow up to Ardel's popular post 21 Theses on Paul and the Law called "5 Theses on Jesus and the Torah".

Also, I found a good link with a series of interesting quotes about house churches.

4 comments:

James Crossley said...

five: sounds like a good start already. But will you come to the obvious conclusion that Jesus always worked within the boundaries of Jewish legal discussion?!

J. B. Hood said...

Don't just do a stale list centered around examples: think big as well, like "new moses" in Matthew, and King as eschatological law-giver who leads the nations in obedience (Gen 49.10, Is 66.20-21).

J. B. Hood said...

Examples of what I'm talking about would be Jamie Grant, The King as Exemplar; Dale Allison, The New Moses. Not saying you have to buy all their arguments, but there is some hay to be made from such views when it comes to formulating the relationship between Jesus and Torah.

Michael F. Bird said...

James,
1. Yes, Jesus was Torah observant and did not abrogate the Law. But Mk 7.19 comes aweful close!!!
2. Jase, at this stage I'm more interested in the historical Jesus' view of the Law, than gauging how Matthew and Paul etc. understand the Law in their own setting and circumstances.